Thursday, February 28, 2008

Are you a Freegan?

What is a Freegan? A freegan is a person that focuses less on what is unnessasary to buy and just buy what is needed to live. Basically, they are people that live life to a minimum and go around their neighborhoods to salvage food and other items from the trash.

Before I saw the Oprah show a couple of days ago, I didn't even know the word existed. I have never heard of the word, to be quite honest. When I told hubby about it, he said he has never heard of that term either.

I see and understand the concept and I think they are doing a good thing for the environment by preventing more trash to fill our landfills in the country. There are many people that throw away things they no longer use. For some, those items are like treasures. I must admit, if I see something out on the curb and I see use for it, I may just put it in my car. I think there is nothing wrong with that. I can either give to a family member, donate to the local Goodwill or just keep it for myself. The last thing I took was a wooden bookcase. It wasn't in the best shape because it needed a good paint job but after I sanded the wood and spray painted it, it turned out beautiful. People could not believe I got that from someone else's curb. I wish I could post a picture of it but I gave it to my sister. She fell in love with it.

So you see, being a freegan isn't too bad.

If you want to read the whole article, click here: Oprah

0 comments:

 
template by suckmylolly.com