Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Sick.................again


This time last year I got sick. I didn't know what was wrong with me until I went to the hospital. I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism. Doctors also call it Graves Disease.
Hyperthyroidism is: an over functioning of the thyroid gland. The thyroid, the master gland of metabolism, located in the neck area below and behind the Adam's apple, is part of the endocrine system. Thyroid hormone regulates the body's use of energy. When a thyroid is over functioning, the gland produces too much thyroid hormone. Because thyroid hormone controls many bodily functions, this increase in the thyroid hormone level causes many bodily functions, such as heart rate or blood pressure, to increase. Digestion can speed up, and overall, symptoms such as weight loss, diarrhea, insomnia, and anxiety point can all point to an abnormally fast metabolism. It also means that my thyroid produces more iodine then what my body needs.
This is what I suffer from: weight loss, hair loss, increased heart rate, nervousness, feeling very hot, frequent bowel movements & menstrual irregularities. My doctor prescribed propanolol for my heart rate (it decreases it) and propylthiouracil (PTU) to stop my thyroid from making too much hormones. When I look for symptoms and reasons why many women get this, the major factor is STRESS. I have 3 kids between the ages of 2 and 11. Potty training, being a SAHM, kids not behaving and having alot of bills make me very stressed. I try not to be stressed out but I just can't help it. Even though I hate taking pills, I think I need something to help me calm down. I'll just have to wait until my thyroid levels get better.
Pray for me and wish me luck, please ;)

0 comments:

 
template by suckmylolly.com